CCleaner normally only deletes unneccessary files and registry keys. However, in this case it seems that CCleaner has cleaned a little bit too much 🙂
The following error occured when I tried to download a file with Internet Explorer 8:
Unable to download attachment.zip from www.webaddress.com
Unable to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
I got this error when I left-clicked an attachment url, as well as when I right-clicked a link and chose Save Target As…
In my case, I solved the problem by disabling some suspected add-ons. This can be be done as follows:
- In Internet Explorer 8, click Tools at the upperright corner
- Click Manage Add-ons
- Click Toolbars and Extensions
- Click any Add-on that you don’t know or trust, and click Disable at the bottom right corner. You can always Enable the add-on again. (as I want to make clear that you don’t permanently delete the add-on by only disabling the add-on)
- Restart Internet Explorer 8 and try again to download an attachment
Possible other solutions:
- Some people cannot download attachments from within their Webmail. This is particularly the case with Yahoo Mail. You should switch to the classic Yahoo mail to work around this problem.
- If you have McAfee Security Center installed, you should disable the SiteAdvisor.