Today I couldn’t start my Outlook 2010 client anymore. When launching Outlook, the following error message came up:
Cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened.
I always start with some basic steps, that helped me most of the times when I had a problem with an Outlook profile. Those standard steps are listed at the bottom of this article. However, the problem involved with this information store thing could not be solved with my standard steps.
To solve the “Information store could not be opened” –error, I disabled the Compatibility mode on Outlook.exe (who actually did turn this on?! It just suddenly was enabled!)
To disable the Compatibility mode on the Outlook.exe application, do the following:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your Office directory (default is “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14” for Office 2010, but your Office may also be installed in Program Files (x86) )
- Right click the Outlook.exe and choose Properties
- Click the Compatibility tab and UNCHECK the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option
- Click OK and try to launch Outlook again
If the Compatibility mode was not enabled, then your problem is caused by something else 🙂
Try my default steps to see if it solves your particular problem:
- Try to Run outlook in safe mode from the Run As window. To do so, press WIN+R (Windows key+R), type “Outlook.exe /safe“ in the text field and click OK.
- Recreate your outlook profile. To do so, click Start –> Control Panel –> Mail. Click Show Profiles. Remove your existing profile. Then click Add… to add a new profile. Try to start Outlook again.
- Remove the Windows Messaging Subsystem keys in your registry. To do so, press WIN+R (Windows key+R), type “regedit“ in the text field and click OK. Navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles]. Delete the key that corresponds to the profile name that causes Outlook not to start. Try to start Outlook again.